the envious sorcerer's apprentice
A student of the Shulé Academy of Metaphysical Studies, who has come under the tutelage of the Court Summoner-Jurist, Vyasa. Their relationship is strained, as Sanjiva is not the apprentice Vyasa had hoped for, whilst Sanjiva feels he isn't learning what he ought to from his apprenticeship. Bereft of proper teaching, Sanjiva seeks to teach himself the art of Summoning.
- My master is unwilling to teach me, I will finish my apprenticeship on my own. I will summon my first ever Jinn
- This murder is the ideal opportunity to prove myself. I will find out the truth and make it public. The first thing is the cause of death.
- Always study my master's methods. Up close.
- Always chronicle all the palace's activity
- Always provide "useful" advice and facts.
Devoted court doctor
the new flower on court.
- I will be queen, and Ramin will be my Shah, Therefore I need to climb on the social ladder. I will helm Sidu in his investigation of the murder of the Prince and Princess
- My reputation must not be tarnished, therefore I must prove my innocense in the murder of the prince and princess, I will establish an alibi.
- I am always ready to perform my duties as a courtesane
- I will always say what I think people want to hear
- I will neder say no to dangerous and powerful men
the curious errand girl.
- I need to be indispensable around here, so I'll become known as the talented maid that at least two nobles fight over. I'll convince Sidu to accept me as a maid.
- Secrets are my guilty pleasure; I must learn something new from a noble at court, which would most certainly get him or her into trouble if someone knew. The first thing I will want to find out is where everyone was at the time of the murder.
- I'll always be there when needed.
- If I shouldn't be there, then I'll always be eavesdropping.
- If someone asks if I have a specific skill then I'll always say yes, even if I don't.
Boytoy of the royal prince
A captured slave with Djinn blood running in his veins. He has newly arrived at court as part of the entourage of the princess. He was intended as a gift for the prince, whose tastes ran towards his own gender, and tasked with keeping the prince satisfied in secret, thus protecting the marriage.
- I will avoid being pressed into servant work by Sidu by attaching myself to someone powerful; I will find someone to introduce me to the high and mighty.
- I will avoid being sacrificed to the Djinn on accusations of royal murder; first, I will convince Sidu that I was not with the royal princess when she died (this is a lie, I was hiding under the bed).
- I will always be subject to the laws of the Djinn, for their blood runs in my veins.
- I will always lie when asked questions about me.
- I will always perceive reality through the veil and trust my second sight.